Alabama Department of Public Health issued an emergency alert last Thursday (1/11/2018) regarding this year’s outbreak of seasonal influenza (flu) in our area. Here’s what you need to know (from ADPH):
- Hospitals are at or over normal patient capacity due in large part to the number of patients
presenting with seasonal influenza-like symptoms. Local emergency departments and
outpatient clinics are also seeing very high volumes of patients.
- At this time, this is not a pandemic flu situation, but a major seasonal flu situation.
- Since early December, public health surveillance has noted widespread influenza activity in
- Reports of influenza-like illness (ILI) in Alabama in the last couple of weeks have been
almost three times the threshold for significant activity for the 2017-18 influenza season. The
threshold is 3.4%.
- Predominant strains identified in specimens submitted to the State lab in the last couple of
weeks have been A (H1N1) and A (H3). Nationally, no significant antiviral resistance has
been identified. Visit http://www.alabamapublichealth.gov/influenza/index.html for more
Click here to contact us today and make an appointment with today with one of the 11 Ear, Nose and Throat specialists at Premier Medical: